Trustworthy Bronx, NY Car Accident Attorneys
Automobile accidents result in injuries to drivers, passengers and pedestrians. These accidents occur as a result of driver negligence, including speeding, alcohol/drugs and failure to pay attention. Various types of automobile accidents include:
- car accidents
- taxi/livery cab accidents
- tractor-trailer accidents
- trucking accidents
- bus accidents
- SUV rollover accidents
When involved in an automobile accident, the injured party must file a no-fault application within 30 days of the accident in order to have their medical bills paid and loss of wages reimbursed. These "no-fault" benefits are paid to the injured party, regardless of whether they were at fault.
Pursuant to no-fault law, up to $50,000 in no-fault benefits may be paid for:
- Medical treatment and related services: Your physician or healthcare provider must file the claim within 45 days of providing you with treatment.
- Lost wages: If you are left temporarily unable to work, you can receive up to $2,000 per month, depending on your lost income, for up to three years from when the accident occurred.
- Other expenses: For additional expenses that you incur due to your inability to perform activities such as laundry or housework, you can receive up to $25 per day for up to one year.
- Death benefits: If you lose a loved one in a motor vehicle accident, you can receive a death payment of $2,000.
The injured party may also be entitled to additional no-fault benefits, known as APIP (additional personal injury protection) or OBEL (optional basic economic loss).
In addition to no-fault benefits, the injured party can also seek compensation for pain and suffering, as well as for loss of earnings (above those basic losses paid for by "no-fault" insurance). All too often, the seriously injured victim of an automobile accident is left wondering whether there will be adequate insurance coverage to fully compensate them for the injuries sustained. Shapiro Law Offices, PLLC is adept at handling all types of automobile accident cases, with a full understanding of how to uncover various insurance policies to allow for greater awards. Shapiro Law Offices, PLLC has a proven track record, having secured multi-million dollar awards in this area.
Jason Shapiro, founder of Shapiro Law Offices, PLLC, devotes several chapters in his textbook, The Lawyers' Guide to Personal Injury Law, to discussing the many facets involved in properly handling car accident cases -- including techniques to uncover additional insurance coverage (including supplementary under-insured motorist [SUM] coverage). Shapiro Law Offices, PLLC has shown its level of expertise in this field by obtaining multi-million dollar recoveries for clients injured as a result of motor vehicle accidents.